Monday, August 5, 2013

How to be sober...

Imagine you are taking your driver's test. The examiner silently buckles in next to you, and you take a shaky breath, hoping he doesn't notice your white knuckles and praying your mom keeps your little brother quiet in the backseat. 

All starts out well. You relax as you realize that you have prepared well. As the examiner curtly instructs which directions to turn, you begin to enjoy yourself and allow yourself quick glances out the window at the neighborhood now and then. 

Suddenly, you spot a tiny boy on the sidewalk ahead stumble onto the road right in your path.  Both the driving examiner and your mom take in their breaths, and your little brother yells, "YOU'RE GONNA KILL HIM!!" 

Now, in your mind, you KNOW which pedal is gas and which is brake. But as your heart jumps into your throat, your mind freezes and you simply cannot remember which is which!

WHAT WILL YOU DO? Will your brain override your pounding pulse, or will your frazzled nerves overpower your brain?

The power to let my brain conquer how I feel is an epic struggle for me. As a female, I tend to have MAJORLY STRONG emotions. If I am happy, I am REALLY happy.  If I am embarrassed, I am really embarrassed. If I am angry, I am very angry. The problem with that? Sometimes I let the way I FEEL out voice my brain, and when I do that, I usually find myself in trouble. 
For example, I know there are some things I could say that would be very damaging to say to certain people. In my head, I could tell you fifty reasons I shouldn't say those things. But SOMETIMES I find that I'm so angry, I can't--or won't think of those things I know. Instead, I'll speak those things that I know in my head are going to end badly. And they do. I mess up because I refused to allow my good sense to overcome my wild emotions.

SOBERNESS is when your good sense continually conquers your wild emotions. So how can one become sober? James 1:5-6
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.