Thursday, February 13, 2014

Soberness: A Girl's Greatest Goal

"So I was going home, and I felt like I should turn at this street..."

"I had a bad feeling about wearing this today!"

"I don't feel right about witnessing to that person; I think I'll hold off..."

This is how I used to live my life. Sometimes it was uncanny how accurate my feelings would be: as a young teenager I would go for a bike ride by my cute neighbor's house and "something would tell me" he wouldn't be home. And sure enough, he wasn't. 

Or I would wear a really cute outfit unless I had...that FEELING. Like, "Girl, don't you put that on." Normally I could dress really quickly and avoid the feeling, but every once in a while it was strong enough to convince me to wear something a little less...cute. 

Sometimes my feelings seemed to protect me from bad guys. Other times they made me end up confused and embarrassed.

I began to wonder, how do I know when my feelings are from God, and when they are not? The Bible warns us, "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world." Verses like this helped free me by showing me that just because I feel a certain way doesn't mean I have to let my feelings guide me!

So, I wondered, how do I know what to do? If I don't have to follow my feelings, if my heart is not always trustworthy enough to depend on, how can I know what to do?

Enter Soberness.

Soberness is when good sense continually conquers wild emotions. 

As girls, it is easy for our emotions to get the best of us. It's easy to laugh uncontrollably--often in totally inappropriate places! When a girl gets mad, WATCH OUT.  We girls can become severely affected by extreme sadness. Even being in love can handicap us by preventing us from using our brains, leading us to ignore lifetime friends, disregard our parents' legitimate concerns, and placing ourselves in real danger. Ask the girl frantically searching for the door handle in her boyfriend's car when it's just about too late.

So what's a girl to do? How can we turn down the volume of our emotions and turn up the volume of our brains? 

Glad you asked! 

Like it does for any question, God's word has an answer. God has provided several stories for our example of what happens when a woman ignores her GOOD SENSE and instead follows her feelings. By studying these three girls, we can take a few pointers in what NOT to do, and therefore, what things God has provided us to help us keep our wild emotions from overpowering our good sense!

Stay tuned for the story of woman one, Lot's Wife. Or just look it up yourself in Genesis 19 and see if you can figure out what enabled her to do what she knew better than to do! (Hint: focus on verse 26.)