Saturday, May 17, 2014

Him whom my soul loveth...


When I met my husband, my first impression of him was that I had always known him.  

Even though I hadn't.

For the longest time, I had hoped that the man I married would be my best friend. I didn't just want a gushy, mushy romance that would taste stale after a couple years. I wanted someone who would still be able to belly laugh at my jokes when we were old and gray.

In His merciful kindness, the God of heaven saw my dreams and granted my wish.  My wedding day was the beginning of something wonderful. Ripened friendship, you might say, as opposed to rotting romance, is what is sweet.

If you, like I did, cast quick glances around, wondering if  "The One" is the same one that just asked you out, or if "The One" even exists, let me share with a you a few of the things that I have learned, often the hard way, so that you can have another perspective on the matter. After all, in the multitude of counsellors is wisdom!

How to love your husband...(even before you meet him):

First off, believe in him. Really!

Just like you believe God exists, believe that your husband exists, even if you see no evidence!  And believe that just when you are ready, you will find HIM suited perfectly for you, just as you will be perfectly made for him.

Now this may seem like wishful thinking, but it's not. In fact, the proper name for it is TRUST. And without trust, you can kiss the whole thing goodbye. Here's the thing: it's gonna take a miracle to get what you really want. So now would be a really good time to get to know the God of miracles, who loves you and has an amazing love story already written out for you, should you choose to accept the part.

What right do you have to believe this? Here's what I based my trust on:

For the Lord God is a sun and shield:
the Lord will give grace and glory:
no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.
Psalms 84:11


That (along with many other verses) gave me hope. And I was not ashamed for believing! Because of Jesus, God counts me as righteous, which qualifies me for every good thing!!! So think on how Jesus loves you and trust that He has a mighty good plan for you and your love life!

Next time, I'll continue on some things I've learned to help you love your husband.

What have you learned? Feel free to comment!